Monday, March 15, 2010

Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Citizen Journalism...

I have been thinking a whole bunch about what I am going to write about for this research paper.  I have narrowed my ideas into a general topic relating to the authenticity of the every day Joe writer.  My exploration of Digg.com has greatly influenced this vague topic that I have stumbled upon.  There are so many exisiting conflicting ideas out there on whether or not sites like Digg are authentic and reflect an expert opinion or scholarly writing.  I have come to decide that Digg is absolutely not a site that is meant for purely expert-type writing, but rather it is a place where truth occurs.  The truth is told about the world, from the biggest events to the smallest often seemingly insignificant stories about everyday people and happenings.  But that is okay...at least in my opinion.   (Image borrowed from: http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/r/regurgitating.asp)The first paper topic/question that I came up with is: Can "citizen journalism" ever be taken as expert journalism?  The second topic that I pondered is: Does "citizen journalism" contain authenticity or is it simply a regurgitation of previously stated ideas from another person/group/site?   The third idea that I thought of reflects on some of the ideas inside from chapter four in Axel Bruns' book, Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life, and Beyond. When talking about the term "gatewatching" Bruns talks about how communities are the filters and drive of "citizen journalism sites." So my final and I think most intriguing possible paper topic is: Does the everyday person and online community on "citizen journalism sites" help to expand the growth of information and articles or does the citizen involvement hinder the authenticity of the information on "citizen journalism sites?"

.......on that note and with the lovely music notes of my sleeping boyfriend, I bid you, cyber world, a very well goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment